Songs Lyrics and YT- Youtube Music Videos

The Miracles Songs - You've Really Got A Hold On Me Lyrics

You've Really Got A Hold On Me Lyrics By The Miracles Songs Album: The Fabulous Miracles Year: 1962 I don't like you, but I love you, Seems that I'm always

The Miracles Songs - You've Really Got A Hold On Me
The Miracles - You've Really Got A Hold On Me


The Miracles - You've Really Got A Hold On Me Lyrics and Youtube Music Videos
Album: The Fabulous Miracles
Released: 1962

You've Really Got A Hold On Me Lyrics


I don't like you, but I love you,
Seems that I'm always thinking of you.
Oh, oh, oh, you treat me badly,
I love you madly, you really got a hold on me.
You really got a hold on me, baby,
I don't want you, but I need you,
Don't want to kiss you, but I need you.
Oh, oh, oh, you do me wrong now,
My love is strong now you really got a hold on me.

You really got a hold on me, baby,
I love you and all I want you to do is just hold me,
Hold me, hold me, hold me.

I want to leave you, don't want to stay here
Don't want to spend another day here.
Oh, oh, oh, I want to split now, I can't Baby,
I love you and all I want you to do is just hold me,
Hold me, hold me, hold me.

You really got a hold on me.
You really got a hold on me.
You really got a hold on me.

You really got a hold on me.
You really got a hold on me.

Writer/s: ROBINSON JR., WILLIAM
Publisher: Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Lyrics licensed and provided by LyricFind

You've Really Got A Hold On Me Song Chart
  • Miracles leader Smokey Robinson wrote this song while thinking about Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me." Cooke would sometimes perform at Robinson's church with his group the Soul Stirrers, and Smokey was a big fan. Cooke's song finds the singer apologizing to his girl after casting her off, promising to treat her right if she comes back. "You've Really Got A Hold On Me" is the same sentiment but with the roles reversed: the girl mistreats the guy, but he loves her unconditionally.
  • Smokey Robinson wrote this song when he was in New York City negotiating a publishing deal, and not pleased with the way the talks were going. He says that he wrote the song in his hotel room with the intention of writing something controversial, which he accomplished with the first line: "I don't like you, but I love you." Such a conflicted and unhealthy sentiment was rarely heard in songs of this era.
  • When Motown was growing into a dominant label in 1962, they set up a tour where many of their acts performed together around the United States. For many people, this was their first look at Motown acts like The Supremes, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. This was the biggest Motown hit at the time, so The Miracles closed the shows with it.
  • The Beatles recorded this in 1963 and performed it in their last movie, Let It Be. The Beatles were the first big British band to come to America and admit they were influenced by black music. Robinson admired this admission, and felt they helped black artists by covering their songs.

    It wasn't the only Motown song The Beatles covered: they also recorded "Money (That's What I Want)" and "Please Mr. Postman" along with "You've Really Got A Hold On Me" on their U.K. release The Beatles' Second Album. Berry Gordy of Motown gave The Beatles a reduced rate for the rights to cover the songs, as it was a huge deal for him to have the most popular band in England recording songs from his roster.
  • Charting cover versions of this song in America were released by Gayle McCormick (#98, 1972) and Eddie Money (#72, 1979). Bob Seger included the song in his live shows when he was starting out in the early '60s.
  • Smokey Robinson sang this song on the children's show Sesame Street in a sketch where a giant puppet "U" grabbed on to Smokey as he sang the song and ultimately carried him away. (thanks, Alden - College Park, MD)
  • Steven Tyler belted out a verse of this song when he was on stage with Smokey Robinson to present the Grammy Award for Record Of The Year in 2014. "Thanks Steven," that was beautiful, Robinson replied.
  • Post a Comment

    [facebook]

    Lyrics

    Contact Form

    Name

    Email *

    Message *

    Powered by Blogger.
    Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget