Songs Lyrics and YT- Youtube Music Videos

The Allman Brothers Band Songs - Whipping Post Lyrics

Whipping Post Lyrics By The Allman Brothers Band Songs Album: The Allman Brothers Band Year: 1969 I've been run down and I've been lied to. And I don't kno

The Allman Brothers Band Songs - Whipping Post
The Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post


The Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post Lyrics and Youtube Music Videos

Album: The Allman Brothers Band
Released: 1969

Whipping Post Lyrics


I've been run down and I've been lied to.
And I don't know why, I let that mean woman make me a fool.
She took all my money, wrecks my new car.
Now she's with one of my good time buddies,
They're drinkin' in some cross-town bar.

Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel,
Like I've been tied to the whippin' post.
Tied to the whippin' post, tied to the whippin' post.
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'

My friends tell me, that I've been such a fool.
But I had to stand by and take it baby, all for lovin' you.
Drown myself in sorrow as I look at what you've done.
But nothing seemed to change, the bad times stayed the same,
And I can't run.

Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel,
Like I've been tied to the whippin' post.
Tied to the whippin' post, tied to the whippin' post.
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'.

Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel,
Like I've been tied to the whippin' post.
Tied to the whippin' post, tied to the whippin' post.
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'

Writer/s: ALLMAN, GREGG L.
Publisher: Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
Lyrics licensed and provided by LyricFind

Whipping Post Song Chart
  • Gregg Allman wrote this in Jacksonville in 1968, just after he returned from Los Angeles.
  • Gregg wrote this on an ironing board using burnt matches. He got the idea in the middle of the night and couldn't find a pen.
  • This became a staple of their live shows. They usually played it as an extended jam, often improvising so it did not sound the same twice.
  • This was the last song on the first Allman Brothers album.
  • Berry Oakley came up with the bass line, which the band worked around. Oakley died in a motorcycle accident in 1972.
  • A 22-minute live version appears on At Fillmore East. Since this took up almost an entire side, it became a double album. The band insisted on keeping the price close to that of a single album.
  • Fans would scream out for this even at concerts for other bands.
  • The chorus is written in 11/8 time, but the verses are written in 12/8. When asked by American Songwriter magazine how he came to compose such songs with progressions that are definitely nothing resembling blues or typical rock and roll, Allman replied that he's not entirely sure. "Man, I just stumbled onto 'em," he said. "I really didn't know exactly what I was doing, I just did it. My brother had to tell me that 'Whipping Post' was in 11/4 time; I had no idea." (thanks, Dustin - Baltimore, MD)

  • Post a Comment

    [facebook]

    Lyrics

    Contact Form

    Name

    Email *

    Message *

    Powered by Blogger.
    Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget