Songs Lyrics and YT- Youtube Music Videos

R.E.M. Songs - Losing My Religion Lyrics

Losing My Religion Lyrics By R.E.M. Songs Album: Out Of Time Year: 1991 Lyrics: Not Found Available: Losing My Religion Youtube Music Video

R.E.M. - Losing My Religio
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion


R.E.M. - Losing My Religion Youtube Music Videos and Lyrics

Album: Out Of Time
Released: 1991

Losing My Religion Lyrics


Losing My Religion Song Chart
  • The title is a Southern expression meaning "At my wit's end," as if things were going so bad you could lose your faith in God. If you were "Losing your religion" over a person, It could also mean losing faith in that person. (thanks, doug - chicago, IL)
  • Stipe told Rolling Stone magazine: "I wanted to write a classic obsession song. So I did." In addition to calling it a song about "obsession," Stipe has also referred to it as a song about "unrequited love" in which all actions and words of the object of your obsession are scrubbed for hidden meaning and hopeful signs. The lyrics pretty clearly support this: "I thought that I heard you laughing, I thought that I heard you sing. I think I thought I saw you try." (thanks, Redstar - Redding, CT)
  • This song has its origins in guitarist Peter Buck's efforts to try learn to play the mandolin. When he played back recordings of his first attempts, he heard the riff and thought it might make a good basis for a song. Explaining how the song came together musically, Buck told Guitar School in 1991: "I started it on mandolin and came up with the riff and chorus. The verses are the kinds of things R.E.M. uses a lot, going from one minor to another, kind of like those 'Driver 8' chords. You can't really say anything bad about E minor, A minor, D, and G – I mean, they're just good chords.

    We then worked it up in the studio – it was written with electric bass, drums, and mandolin. So it had a hollow feel to it. There's absolutely no midrange on it, just low end and high end, because Mike usually stayed pretty low on the bass. This was when we decided we'd get Peter (Holsapple) to record with us, and he played live acoustic guitar on this one. It was really cool: Peter and I would be in our little booth, sweating away, and Bill and Mike would be out there in the other room going at it. It just had a really magical feel.

    And I'm proud to say every bit of mandolin on the record was recorded live – I did no overdubbing. If you listen closely, on one of the verses there's a place where I muffled it, and I thought, well, I can't go back and punch it up, because it's supposed to be a live track. That was the whole idea."
  • The band claims this is not about religion and loss of faith, although the video is full of religious imagery. Some Catholic groups protested the video.
  • In 2003, Stipe told Entertainment Weekly, "'Losing My Religion' was a fluke hit. It was a 5-minute song with no chorus and a mandolin as the lead instrument. So for us to hold that as the bar we have to jump over every time we write a song would be ridiculous."
  • This won the Grammy in 1991 for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.
  • The video was the first to show lead singer Michael Stipe dancing. The director, Tarsem Singh, hung out with the band to get ideas, and when he saw Stipe's spastic dance style, he thought it would look great in the video.
  • The video is based in part on Gabriel Garcia Marquez' A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings . The novel tells the story about an angel who falls down from heaven and how the people who make money displaying him as a "freak show." Michael Stipe is a big Marquez fan and the whole idea of obsession and unrequited love is the central theme of the author's masterpiece, Love in the Time of Cholera . The first line of the novel: "It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love." (thanks, Gabriela - Santiago, Chile)
  • This was given the working title of "Sugar Cane" when the band demoed it in July 1990 at a studio in Athens.
  • A common misinterpretation of this song is that it was about John Lennon's death, with the lyrics, "What if all these fantasies come flailing around" being a reference to Lennon's last album Double Fantasy.
  • Michael Stipe took a laid-back approach with this song: "I remember that I sang this in one go with my shirt off. I don't think any of us had any idea it would ever be ... anything," he noted in Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982-2011. Peter Buck added that Warner Bros. didn't even want the song as a single, and everyone was surprised when it took off. "It changed our world. We went from selling a few million worldwide with Green to over 10 million. It was in that area where we had never been before which isn't bad," he said.
  • This was used on Beverly Hills, 90210 in the 1991 episodes "Beach Blanket Brandon" and "Down and Out of District in Beverly Hills"; on Smallville in the 2003 episode "Slumber"; on Glee in the 2010 episode "Grilled Cheesus"; and on Parks and Recreation in the 2013 episode "Filibuster."

  • Post a Comment

    [facebook]

    Lyrics

    Contact Form

    Name

    Email *

    Message *

    Powered by Blogger.
    Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget