Songs Lyrics and YT- Youtube Music Videos

The Who Songs - Behind Blue Eyes Lyrics

Behind Blue Eyes Lyrics By The Who Songs Album: Who's Next Year: 1971 No one knows what it's like To be the bad man To be the sad man Behind blue eyes No

The Who - Behind Blue Eye
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes


The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Lyrics and Youtube Music Videos

Album: Who's Next
Released: 1971

Behind Blue Eyes Lyrics


No one knows what it's like
To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind Blue Eyes

No one knows what it's like
To be hated
To be fated
To telling only lies

But my dreams
They aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be

I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

No one knows what it's like
To feel these feelings
Like I do
And I blame you

No one bites back as hard
On their anger
None of my pain and woe
Can show through

But my dreams
They aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be

I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free

When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

And if I swallow anything evil
Put you're finger down my throat
And if I shiver, please give me a blanket
Keep me warm, let me wear you're coat

No one knows what it's like
To be the bad man
To be the sad man
Behind blue eyes

Writer/s: PETE TOWNSHEND
Publisher: SPIRIT MUSIC GROUP
Lyrics licensed and provided by LyricFind

Behind Blue Eyes
  • Pete Townshend originally wrote this about a character in his "Lifehouse" project, which was going to be a film similar to The Who's Tommy and Quadrophenia. Townshend never finished "Lifehouse," but the songs ended up on the album Who's Next. (thanks, Brian - Paoli, IN)
  • Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey both have blue eyes, but the song is not autobiographical. Townshend has said that he wrote it to show "How lonely it is to be powerful."
  • Townshend was going to use this as the main song in the Lifehouse film for the villain, Jumbo.
  • Pete Townshend has explained that he never behaved like a typical rock star when he was on tour, especially when it came to groupies, which he tried to avoid. He says it was a run-in with a groupie that was the impetus for this song. Townshend, who got married in 1968, was tempted by a groupie after The Who's June 9, 1970 concert in Denver. He says that he went back to his room alone and wrote a prayer beginning, "If my fist clenches, crack it open..." The prayer was more or less asking for help in resisting this temptation. The other words could be describing Townshend's self-pity and how hard it is to resist. (thanks, Geoff Morgan - Brookfield, WI)
  • The original demo version is a lot quieter and stripped-down. Townshend released this version on his 1983 album Scoop.
  • Roger Daltrey did a new version of this song with the Irish group The Chieftains, which was released on the group's 1992 album An Irish Evening. This rendition, which was recorded live at the Grand Opera House in Belfast, features traditional Irish instruments, including fiddle and bodhrán.
  • The lyrics are based on Townshend's own feeling of angst - that no one knows what it's like to be him, with high expectations and pressure to be someone he's not. Knowing what a miserable sod he can be, he's telling us not to let himself enjoy it because he doesn't want to enjoy making us (the fans) happy. It'll mean we will ask for more!
  • This is one of the most popular live songs from The Who, played at the majority of their concerts. Pete Townshend has said at various stages of his career that while he believes it's a great song, he doesn't get any satisfaction performing it, as he feels it is out of context of his Lifehouse project.
  • To the horror of many Who fans who turned up their noses at nu-metal, Limp Bizkit covered this song on their 2003 on their album Results May Vary, taking it to #18 UK and #71 US (the only cover version to chart). This version was used in the Halle Berry movie Gothika. Berry appeared in the video, which was directed by Bizkit frontman Fred Durst. Conveniently enough, Durst included a scene where he kisses Berry in the video.

  • Post a Comment

    [facebook]

    Lyrics

    Contact Form

    Name

    Email *

    Message *

    Powered by Blogger.
    Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget